Our home in the Design Building provides us with several state of the art research and teaching laboratory facilities. These are:
- Wood Mechanics Laboratory – A high-head, mechanics testing lab where we fabricate and test structural components and building materials.
- Building Science Laboratory – A flexible lab for building science and building energy use and performance investigations.
- Trimble Technology Lab – A software- and advanced surveying equipment-based technology lab, established through a gift from Trimble
The Design Building houses two computing laboratories. All lab computers and most of the campus’ IT classroom computers have discipline-relevant software installed (CAD/BIM, structural design, estimating, energy modeling etc.), which can be used in classes or for research.
In addition to the resources available through the central UMass library system, we also maintain current collections of field-relevant peer-reviewed scientific and trade journals, texts and research proceedings, which are available to faculty and graduate students.
Other resources in the Design Building include a wood shop and digital fabrication center, which we share with the other departments in the Design Building (Architecture as well as Landscape Architecture and Regional Planning). Through our home Department of Environmental Conservation, we also have access to resources in Holdsworth Hall. For more on the ECO labs, visit the ECO site.
Testing Capabilities and Expertise
BCT can provide any of the services mentioned below. Please contact us if you are interested in these.
Materials Science and Engineering:
- ASTM D143 Small clear wood specimen testing
- Full-size bending specimen testing up to approx. 16 ft.
- Connection detail testing
- Density, specific gravity
- Fatique testing
- Reliability-based analysis
- Structural and wood forensics
- Static bending properties of lumber and lumber composites – MOE / MOR
- Failure Analysis and Prediction
- Moisture Content
- Internal Bond testing
- Shear Property testing
- Tension Property – Parallel and Perpendicular
- Water Absorption / Thickness Swell
- In-grade testing
- Accelerated Aging testing
- Truss component testing
- Engineered Wood Composite Mechanics
- Numerical Modeling
- Statistical Size Effect
- Plasticity Analysis
Building Systems and Energy Performance:
- Building energy modeling
- Blower-door testing
- Infrared thermography