Website Pioneer Valley Habitat for Humanity
Pioneer Valley Habitat for Humanity builds strength, stability and self-reliance through
affordable homeownership in Franklin and Hampshire Counties. Habitat is a housing ministry
dedicated to strengthening communities by empowering low-income families to change their
lives and the lives of future generations through homeownership opportunities. This is
accomplished by working in partnership with diverse people, from all walks of life, to build
simple, decent, affordable housing. Our local Habitat tries to incorporate many sustainable
practices into our construction process and builds all new homes to ENERGY STAR standards.
PVHH is also working on an initiative called “Big Enough: Pioneering the Small Home
Revolution in Western Mass” where we are working on addressing barriers to small simple
housing solutions. We are building several pilot homes that will integrate innovation strategies
such as, small footprint homes, lower sales price, innovative financing, zero net energy potential
homes, alternative land ownership, small lot zoning, and modular construction.
The Green Building Intern for Spring 2022 would be assisting PVHH in building organizational
capacity by providing support to our volunteer build team leaders and staff. Due to Covid-19
most (but not all) office work is being done remotely and there may be restrictions on the
ability to work on the construction sites. The intern would be tasked in three main areas:
• Participatory Learning – Act as a mentor to other volunteers and assist in the successful
implementation of our construction projects through on-site work and virtual office work.
• Research & Administration – The intern will work remotely assisting staff with
research and administrative tasks. This helps give a broader view of the diverse work
required to run a Habitat for Humanity affiliate.
• Inventory – The intern will visit all job sites and storage trailers to update our inventory
lists and organize as needed.
Additional tasks depending on intern skills and project needs you may also work on:
• Event planning – Help plan and implement events, including a volunteer appreciation
party and a spring fundraiser.
• Document Construction Process – Through photographs, video, writing and other
techniques document the techniques being used at our build site with an emphasis on
green building techniques. Assist the build team in maintaining a list of all plan changes
and incorporating sustainable practices. The goal of this documentation is both short and
long term – to assist the volunteers sharing information from one week to the next and to
assist the planning of future projects. Take notes at build team meetings as requested.
• Volunteer & Family Education – Create educational materials for new volunteers and
partner families to get up to speed quickly on the build tasks at hand. Multi-media
educational materials encouraged. This may involve curating links to additional online
educational materials, creating on site signage about green building details, etc.
• Interest in green building and energy efficient homes, experience or class work within
this area preferred
• Excellent writing skills – able to convey complex technical information in a simple
• Self-directed and able to work independently
• High proficiency with Microsoft Word and Excel – able to use styles and indexes in
Word, able to sort and use formulas in Excel
• Able to effectively communicate with, listen to and learn from others
• Able to work with individuals of different ages, backgrounds and life experiences
• A car to be able to access job sites and meet with volunteers at locations other than the
• Graphic design or website editing skills are useful for providing project support
• Photography and Video skills desirable – able to photograph or video construction, then
edit into usable documents or short videos
This position is for 10 to 20 hours per week for up to 12 consecutive weeks between January 1,
2022 and May 15, 2022 (not to exceed 230 hours total for the internship). Schedule will include
weekend and weekday work. Pay is $15/hour for this temporary, at-will position and there are
no benefits other than unpaid sick leave. Approval by the MassCEC internship program is
To apply you must do two things:
1. Apply to the MassCEC internship program and get listed in their database:
2. Send a resume and cover letter to expressing your interest in our
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org