There are many opportunities for BCT students to spend a semester away from UMass – either elsewhere in the country or abroad. These opportunities provide our students with tremendous experiences for their personal life and career. The links below are good places to start your planning.
Domestic Exchange Program
You can spend a semester or a year at one of over 180 participating colleges and universities across the country. It is an educational opportunity you don’t want to miss! Follow this link for more information:
International Exchanges (via UMass’ International Programs Office)
The UMass IPO has various programs and provides assistance in getting documentation and setting up your semester abroad. Deadlines to apply for spring study abroad are usually early to mid-October. For fall study abroad, deadlines start in March but go as late as June. Students can start the process by creating an account via the IPO website: http://www.umass.edu/ipo/education-abroad. More information and contact information can be found here.
There are lots of different programs available and it is a good idea to talk to IPO as a first step. Below are some specific universities that we have become aware of and that offer courses relevant to BCT:
- Heriot Watt University, Edinburgh, Scotland (and Dubai, Malaysia):
- Relevant courses in the School of Energy, Geoscience, Infrastructure, and Society – Course catalog
- API program description
- IPO contact: Stacy Lutsch
- Napier University, Edinburgh, Scotland:
- University of Westminster, London, England:
- Link: http://www.cisabroad.com/study-abroad/england/semester-at-university-of-westminster–london
- Semester 1 Architecture & the Built Environment courses: http://www.westminster.ac.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0004/256891/FABE-Fall-2013-Web-and-Print.pdf
- Semester 2 Architecture & the Built Environment courses: http://www.westminster.ac.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0011/256889/FABE-Spring-2014-Web-and-Print.pdf
- Deakin University, Melbourne and Geelong, Australia:
- Course catalog
- IPO contact: Stacy Lutsch
- Linnaeus University, Sweden:
- Courses in English: http://lnu.se/education/courses?ec_vt=English&l=en#l=en&ec_vt=English
- Tsinghua University, Beijing, China
- Summer School for International Construction (in English): http://goglobal.tsinghua.edu.cn/program/icpmsummer2017
Information about financial aid for studying abroad can be found here.
- Yestermorrow – Sustainable Design-Build Semester Program – This is a full-immersion, credit-bearing semester in green building and design offered in Vermont. You can receive a Minor in Architecture for attending a semester.
- We have good connections to the University of Innsbruck, Austria (wood structures, passive house). Research-placement funding is available at: http://www.marshallplan.at/index.php/grants-fellowships/the-marshall-plan-scholarships
- For exchanges with German universities, there are various grants available here: https://www.daad.org/scholarship
- The GREEN program
- The CELL program
Past students in the BCT Program have gone to…
(click the pins to see what they thought of the experience)