Residential Construction Management Competition
Number: BCT 397R
Format: In person, Amherst
Meeting Times: Wed. 4:00-6:00 & Thurs. 5:30-6:45
Room: Olver Design Building 162
The NAHB (National Association of Home Builders) Student Chapters Residential Construction Management Competition (RCMC) is one of the highlights of the annual International Builders’ Show. The competition gives students the opportunity to apply skills learned in the classroom to a real construction company by completing a management project/proposal. Proposals are submitted to a group of construction company executives who act as judges. During the convention, students defend their proposals to the judges in front of an audience.
Students will be required to attend the annual NAHB Student Competition, which is one of the highlights of the International Builders' Show (IBS).
Note: This course can be taken twice for credit without counting as a re-take.
- Develop a project plan, such as work breakdown and sequencing.
- Conduct an estimating process, including types of estimates, quantity take-offs, unit costs, resource management, and equipment costs.
- Estimate project cash flows.
- Develop a project schedule such as bar charts.
- Develop a cost control system that includes general cost control systems, indirect costs, and fixed overhead costs.
- Develop a project safety plan utilizing OSHA, jobsite conditions, and accident prevention programs.
- Introduction to Autodesk 3D Max, Autodesk AutoCAD, Autodesk Revit, Microsoft Project, Microsoft Office, Rhinoceros 3D, Trimble SketchUp, and Trimble WinEst.
- Develop group collaboration and oral & written communication.
Annual NAHB Student Competition Problem Description and Rules & Guidelines.