Clean Energy Corps
Number: BCT 511
Format: In person, Amherst
Meeting Times: Tue, 10:00 - 12:45 & Thu, 10:00 - 11:45
Room: Olver Design Building 160
Students in the UMass Clean Energy Corps will work in teams with energy engineers and other staff of the UMass Clean Energy Extension to provide energy analysis and high-level energy audits to Massachusetts cities and towns. We will collect and analyze municipal energy data, conduct walk through and instrumented energy audits on site for some facilities, and provide guidance to help municipalities cut their energy consumption by at least 20%. Students will learn a variety of data analysis and building diagnostic techniques as well as gain experience working with municipal clients.
Pre-requisites: Either BCT 211, 311, 520 or 521
- Knowledge of building energy data analytics.
- Familiarity with diagnostic tools and techniques.
- Ability to work on professional quality group projects.
- Ability to work professionally with municipal clients.
- Ability to integrate solutions for building mechanical and envelope systems especially on existing buildings.
- Knowledge of estimating costs, benefits, and investment metrics.
- Introduction to spreadsheets, climate consultant, eQuest, sketchup, Opaque, presentation software, thermographic cameras, blower door, duct blaster, combustion analyzer, flow meter, data loggers.