Clean Energy Corps
Number: BCT 511
Format: In person, Amherst
Meeting Times: Tue, 10:00 - 12:45 & Thu, 10:00 - 11:45
Room: Olver Design Building 160
Ph.D., M.A., B.A.
Extension Assistant Professor, Extension Program in Building Energy
Office: Olver Design Building 321
Phone: +1 (413) 545-1820
Students in the UMass Clean Energy Corps will work in teams to conduct energy audits or clean energy feasibility studies for Massachusetts cities and towns. We will visit selected facilities to conduct walkthroughs or instrumented energy audits, analyze building performance and energy data, and then present detailed guidance to help municipalities reduce their energy use and plan to decarbonize their facilities. Students will learn a variety of data analysis and building diagnostic techniques, as well as gain experience working with municipal clients and giving presentations. Learn more about our past work and project selection process at umasscleanenergycorps.com
Prerequisites: Either BCT 211, 311, 520 or 521
- Knowledge of building energy data analytics.
- Familiarity with diagnostic tools and techniques.
- Ability to work on professional quality group projects.
- Ability to work professionally with municipal clients.
- Ability to integrate solutions for building mechanical and envelope systems especially on existing buildings.
- Knowledge of estimating costs, benefits, and investment metrics.
- Introduction to spreadsheets, climate consultant, eQuest, sketchup, Opaque, presentation software, thermographic cameras, blower door, duct blaster, combustion analyzer, flow meter, data loggers.