BCT at Mount Ida Campus
Study with Building and Construction Technology (BCT), UMass’ leading education and research program in sustainable construction, building science, and technology.
Established as a center for student-focused experiential learning and a hub of research-industry collaboration, UMass’ Mount Ida Campus offers a wealth of opportunities for undergraduate, graduate, and professional education (University Without Walls) students as they engage in their academic pursuits and prepare for meaningful and rewarding careers.
Located in Newton, adjacent to the Newton-Needham Innovation District, and the tech-focused Route 128 corridor, the campus is growing its career development programs with expanding access to internships and co-ops in the thriving Greater Boston area.
SPRING 2021 Planning: Read more about UMass’ plans for the spring semester here. Mount-Ida-specific information can be found here. For BCT-specific questions, contact Paul Wolff (see information at the bottom of the page).
BCT’s courses will be offered in a remote-learning format but may contain hands-on activities. See individual courses for details.
Staying in the Boston area? Don’t forget to check out our WORK-LEARN-LIVE option.
Need Housing in Newton? If you are looking for housing and dining at the Mount Ida campus, check out our website here.
BCT is now offering courses and academic programs on the Mount Ida campus. At this point, we provide the following:
- Internship and educational opportunities for current BCT students (undergrad and grad), which can include housing/dining.
- Standalone, for-credit, full semester, professional education courses (through UMass UWW) in an in-person or hybrid format (online plus in-person). See below for our current list.
- A graduate certificate in Sustainable Building Construction, which can be taken one course at a time (i.e. part-time online or hybrid courses).
- While we are not yet offering our MS in Sustainable Building Systems on this campus, students can enroll and take courses towards this program here and then finish their studies in Amherst (or vice-versa).
Our courses provide opportunities for professional education to matriculated students and the general public at the Mount Ida campus and online. Those are either online, hybrid, or fully in-person courses. Anyone can enroll in these through a per-credit fee-based process through UMass’ University Without Walls (UWW) system (matriculated UMass students use Spire instead).
During our regular semesters, we are offering courses targeted at professionals who intend to attain credited credentials or want to pursue our academic programs. During summer, we are providing courses for current BCT students (who may be completing an internship in the Boston area) and for professionals who intend to attain credited credentials.
Learn more about these and our other courses on our UWW Professional Education page. You can always find our upcoming courses and enroll here:
- Introduction to Building Energy Modeling (BCT 597BE) – Course details
- Legal Aspects of Architecture, Engineering, and the Construction Process (BCT 597N) – Course details
- Living Labs: Solving for Carbon Neutrality with High Performance Buildings (BCT 597Q) – Course details
- Sustainable Building and Smart Growth Systems (ECO 697DL) – Course details
The following upcoming events on the Mount Ida campus are affiliated with our program or organized by BCT:
Subscribe to these events!
Keep an eye on your UMass email for internship announcements that come either directly or via the BCT Job Board. Also, sign up at Handshake and fill out your profile (especially the skills section). You can then search for internships or have companies contact you. If your internship is in the Boston area, then our Mount Ida campus can provide housing, food, and other amenities (including academic programs) for the time of the internship.
Many of our students pursue internships (and co-ops) in the Boston area. If you are seeking interns, post your ad on the BCT Job Board (to reach BCT students directly) and Handshake (to reach all UMass students) or attend our career fairs. The Mount Ida campus can then provide housing, food, and other amenities (including academic programs, e.g. courses) for the time of the internship.
Where is the Mount Ida Campus?
This full-service campus is located in Newton, MA and is easily reachable by car (ample parking provided) and public transit (via shuttle from nearby T-stops).
Reach out to us anytime via our Contact Form or contact our on-site faculty member directly: