We are offering a Professional Master’s program (M.S.) in the Sustainable Building Systems Concentration as part of the graduate program in Environmental Conservation. This one-year program is an individualized, self-funded course of study that provides graduate students with an opportunity to deepen their knowledge of sustainability topics as they relate to the built environment.
Topics that can be pursued are: sustainable building materials and structural systems, building performance and energy conservation, energy modeling, digital design and fabrication, green development and planning, and sustainability certification (e.g. USGBC LEED).
Why Enroll in this Program?
Advance your knowledge in sustainable building systems and expand your professional horizon by attending engaging and challenging graduate courses.
Get your Masters degree in one year (full-time in-person) or pursue this program on a part-time schedule at your convenience.
A Masters degree typically leads to higher lifetime earnings. Prepare yourself for advancing in your career with this degree.
Who should enroll?
- Students in a Built Environment field (e.g. from BCT) seeking a focused, non-thesis graduate program after their Bachelor’s degree that allows for interdisciplinary study and practical training recognizing that an MS degree opens the door to excellent employment opportunities in the marketplace.
- Architects, Engineers, Builders, Construction Managers, and Building Officials who wish to enhance their knowledge of sustainable building methods and materials in a condensed time frame of one year.
- Design and construction professionals who desire a deeper understanding of the environmental impact of construction and ways to mitigate it.
Not sure yet if a Master’s is for you? You can start in our Graduate Certificate in Sustainable Building Construction (one course at a time) and decide later whether you want to count all credits towards our Master’s program.
About the Program
Incoming students will meet with the Professional Master’s Chief Advisor and create an individualized course of studies based on their background and professional interest. Depending on the choice of courses, students will learn about:
- Energy conservation methods in residential & commercial design
- LEED, Energy Star, HERS, LBC building requirements
- Design with sustainable building materials, e.g. wood and mass timber products
- Green planning and development policies
- Green initiatives on infrastructure, roads and bridges
Courses will come from BCT and several other disciplines. In those courses, students will be required to integrate concepts of resource stewardship, economic vitality, and social equity. Follow the link below for a detailed outline of the requirements for this program:
“Learning about energy modeling, building materials and mechanical systems allowed me to connect both sides of the energy system and to provide more value to my clients.”
“I love that I am using my Master’s education every day. I get to do engineering load calculations, heat loss calculations, new product testing, and speak to clients about building science.”
“I am a structural assistant project manager on a 62 story high-rise in Boston. The BCT Professional Master’s program helped elevate my education to a level that enables me to work in this type of scenario.”
Admission and Deadlines
February 1st (priority), March 1st (latest) for a Fall Semester start
October 1st for a Spring Semester start
This program has been classified as a STEM (science, technology, engineering and math) program (under CIP code 3.0101 “Natural Resources/Conservation, General”). This designation, determined by the Department of Homeland Security, allows international students to extend their training (Optional Practical Training – OPT) in the United States by working in their field of study. More information regarding the Extended STEM OPT process can be obtained through the university’s International Programs Office (IPO).
We are happy to answer any questions. Use our contact form to send us a note or contact directly:
Professional Master’s Chief Advisor
L. Carl Fiocchi, Ph.D.
R: 337 Olver Design Building
T: +1 (413) 545-1866