Certifications / Licensing

During your studies with BCT or after your graduation there are several professional certifications and licenses that you can pursue, which – depending on where you intend to work – might help your job prospects. The list below outlines the most relevant ones. Please note that some employers will pay for you to take some of these.

We have one request: If you pursue any of these, please remember to let us at BCT know at some point how the process went and if it helped your job prospects etc.

Associate Constructor (AC) and Certified Professional Constructor (CPC)

This two-exam, two-step process provides the AC certification for seniors and graduating students and the CPC certification for early-career professionals.

Organization: American Institute of Constructors (AIC)

Link: http://www.professionalconstructor.org/?page=About_Certification

Autodesk Building Performance Analysis (BPA) Certificate

The Autodesk Building Performance Analysis (BPA) Certificate Program is a free, online self paced educational program, for students, educators and professionals, that will help improve your knowledge of building science fundamentals and Autodesk building performance analysis tools.

Organization: Autodesk

Link: http://sustainabilityworkshop.autodesk.com/bpac

Autodesk Certifications

Autodesk offers several other certifications (some are free) through their website. See the link below for details.

Organization: Autodesk

Link: http://www.autodesk.com/education/prepare-and-inspire/certification

Building Performance Institute (BPI) Certifications

Provides certifications for building system evaluation, diagnostics and installation.

Organization: Building Performance Institute

Link: http://www.bpi.org/professionals.aspx

Construction Manager in Training (CMIT)

This early-career-program gives you the CMIT title and provides you with a mentor-based guidance system. An online qualification exam is required.

Organization: Construction Management Association of America (CMAA)

Link: https://cmaanet.org/certification/construction-manager-in-training-cmit

Certified Construction Manager (CCM)

This program requires a formal exam and demonstrated work history but your undergraduate education can count towards the work history requirement.

Organization: Construction Management Association of America (CMAA)

Link: http://cmaanet.org/certified-construction-manager

Leadership in Energy & Environmental Design (LEED)

You can take an exam to become either the more general “LEED Green Associate (GA)” or the more specialized “LEED Accredited Professional (AP)”. You can also become a “Green Rater”. BCT occasionally offers a course that helps you study for the exams.

Organization: U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC)

Link: http://www.usgbc.org/leed/credentials

Massachusetts Construction Supervisor License (CSL)

This license entitles you to construct one and two family dwellings of any size and all other types of buildings with less than 35,000 cubic feet of enclosed space in Massachusetts.

Organization: State of Massachusetts

Link: http://www.mass.gov/eopss/consumer-prot-and-bus-lic/license-type/csl/construction-supervisor-license.html



Last updated: May 28, 2015