Career Opportunities in BCT
Graduates of the BCT program have risen to the highest professional levels in the building construction industry. Specific occupations cover a broad range of professional categories including:
- Construction Project Management – Residential and commercial sectors in construction and development, with small (regional) or large (national and international) firms. This encompasses general contractors, subcontractors, systems and materials suppliers, and others. E.g.:
- Green Building and Sustainability – Consulting, specifying and installation of: Air sealing, weatherization, insulation, building energy auditing, building energy modeling, renewable energy technologies, high performance HVAC and mechanical systems, commissioning/retro-commissioning, retrofitting existing structures, LEED-related careers. E.g.:
- Engineered Wood Design – Whole house structural modeling, design and supply of engineered wood roof, wall and floor systems, roof truss design and manufacture. E.g.:
- Technical Sales and Marketing – Building materials and equipment suppliers, retail and wholesale (inside and outside sales of: structural materials, electrical, mechanical, roofing, siding, softwood and hardwood lumber, engineered wood, windows, doors, kitchen and bath design). E.g.:
Salaries compare favorably with other scientific and business professions. Opportunities for advancement are excellent. The employment demand for women and men in this broad field far exceeds the number of graduates.
Career Links for BCT Students
When looking for jobs (internships or full-time), try these:
- Get your resume and LinkedIn profile ready! You can find some tips here. Then submit it to our Students’ Resume Book.
- Read your UMass () emails! We will be sending out job offers through our BCT email list as they arrive. Make sure you are on that list!
- For all the companies in the “Employer Listing” below, look for the “Careers” link on their homepages.
- Visit our new BCT Job Board for full-time or part-time employment opportunities! We regularly send around an email with the password. Keep it handy!
- CNS Student Interships directory – This is a directory of available student internships, hosted by the CNS Career & Professional Development Center.
- UMass Handshake – A database for internships and other job opportunities.
- BCT Career Fair, Civil Engineering Career Fair, and other on-campus fairs – Attend these in-semester on-campus job fairs and meet companies for relevant careers.
- BCT LinkedIn Group – Once you join LinkedIn and this group, you can see where other graduates have found employment.
- BCT Interns Blog – An informal blog where students report about their internships (UMass login required).
- General job sites: Indeed, CareerBuilder, LinkedIn Jobs, Monster, ZipRecruiter
The following is a select list of companies that have hired our graduates in the past.
Browse by industry segment: General Construction | Specialty Construction | Residential Construction | Green Building | Engineered Wood and Forest Products | Building Products Sales and Marketing | Recruiters
- Consigli Construction
- Daniel O’Connell’s Sons
- Division of Capital Asset Management
- Fontaine Brothers
- Gilbane Building
- Hill International
- Lee Kennedy Co
- Plumb House
- Shawmut Design and Construction
- Suffolk Construction
- Turner Construction
- Whiting-Turner Construction
- Wright Builders
- W.T. Rich
Engineering News-Record Top Lists – Extensive listing of design, construction, environmental, green design,… firms
Top 100 Builders in the USA – A good starting point for the broader industry
- Beazer Homes
- Centex Homes
- D-R-Horton Homes
- Integrity Development and Construction Inc. – Amherst, MA
- KB Home
- K. Hovnanian Homes
- Lennar Corporation
- M/I Homes
- Pioneer Valley Habitat for Humanity
- Pulte Homes
- Pulte Group
- Richmond American Homes
- Ryan Homes
- Toll Brothers
ProBuilder’s Housing Giants – Companies in this list have multiple offices in many states and provide career opportunities in several areas of building materials and construction. Positions are technical, management, and sales.
- Center for EcoTechnology
- CLEAResult / CSG
- Competitive Energy Services
- Direct Energy Solar
- The Green Engineer
- Next Step Living
- Owens Corning
- RISE Engineering
NESEA (Northeast Sustainable Energy Association) – Regional industry group website that features a green jobs board
- Boise Cascade – Westfield, MA
- International Paper
- Georgia Pacific
- Universal Forest Products – Belchertown, MA
- AW Hastings / HireElements
- 84 Lumber
- Andersen Windows
- Black and Decker
- Blue Linx
- Cowls Building Supply
- Home Depot
- Kolbe & Kolbe Windows & Doors
- Liberty Cedar
- Masonite Doors
- National Lumber
- Pella Windows
- Rex Lumber Company
- United States Gypsum Company
Northeastern Retail Lumber Association – Features a members list and an employment center
HBS Dealer – Homecenters & building supply
ProDealer – Industry summit