Minor in Building and Construction Technology
Students from all disciplines at UMass are encouraged to complete a Minor in Building and Construction Technology (BCT). See below for the current requirements (updated Spring 2014).
- BCT 150 – The Built Environment – Fall
Building Systems – 1 course minimum:
- BCT 204 – Construction Materials and Methods – Spring
- BCT 211 – Energy Efficient Housing – Fall
- BCT 304 – Properties of Wood – Fall
- BCT 520 – Energy and Buildings* – Fall
- BCT 540 – Design of Wood Structures* – Fall
Building Technology – 1 course minimum:
- BCT 311 – Indoor Environmental Systems – Spring (2 cr.)
- BCT 313 – Principles of Light Frame Structures Technology – Fall
- BCT 314 – Blueprint Reading and Estimating – Spring (2 cr.)
- BCT 320 – Intro to CAD for Construction and Architecture – Fall/Spring (limited availability)
- BCT 420 – Advanced topics in CAD & BIM* – Spring
- BCT 530 – Mechanics of Building Materials for Construction* – Spring
- BCT 597D – Sustainable Building & LEED Certification
- Any other BCT course
*These courses have prerequisites
To successfully complete a minor in Building and Construction Technology, a student must earn a minimum of 15 credits, selecting a minimum of 5 courses in the 3 academic areas listed above. One course each is required from the Built Environment, Building Systems, and Building Technology categories. All courses listed above are 3-credit courses except where noted. To be admitted into the Building and Construction Minor a student must be in good academic standing with the University.
No requirements for the minor may be taken Pass/Fail. All courses applied toward the minor must be taken on a graded basis and all courses used to satisfy the requirements of the minor must be completed with a grade of C or better.
Getting the Minor Added to your Transcript:
The BCT Minor is awarded AFTER you have completed the required 5 courses. There is no need to apply in-advance for “admission” to the Minor. During the semester that you are completing the Minor, please visit a faculty of the BCT Program, or come to Holdsworth 125 and have the form “Declaration of an Academic Minor” completed and signed for submission to the Registrar. After the Registrar processes this form the Minor designation will be added to your Official Transcript.
Last updated: July 2, 2015