Minor in BCT
Students from all disciplines at UMass are encouraged to complete a Minor in Building and Construction Technology (BCT). See below for the current requirements.
Materials and Methods – 6 Credit minimum:
- BCT 204 - Construction Materials and Methods – Spring
- BCT 211 - Energy Efficient Housing – Fall
- BCT 304 - Properties of Wood – Fall
- BCT 313 - Principles of Light Frame Structures Technology – Fall
- BCT 530 - Mechanics of Building Materials for Construction* – Spring
- BCT 540 - Design of Wood Structures* – Fall
Professional and Management Systems – 3 Credit minimum:
- BCT 352 - Building Materials and Forest Products Marketing – Fall
- BCT 353 - Business of Building – Spring
Building Technology – 3 credit minimum:
- BCT 150 - The Built Environment – Fall
- BCT 220 - Intro to CAD for Construction and Architecture – Fall/Spring
- BCT 397S – Sustainable Sites
- BCT 420 - Advanced topics in CAD/BIM* – Spring
- BCT 597D – Sustainable Building & LEED Certification
- Any other BCT Elective course
*These courses have prerequisites
To successfully complete a minor in Building and Construction Technology, a student must earn a minimum of 15 credits, selecting a minimum of 5 courses in the 3 academic areas listed above. Two courses are required from Materials and Methods, and one each from Professional and Management Systems and Building Technology, with one additional course from any of the three areas. All courses listed above are 3-credit courses. To be admitted into the Building and Construction Minor a student must be in good academic standing with the University.
No requirements for the minor may be taken Pass/Fail. All courses applied toward the minor must be taken on a graded basis and all courses used to satisfy the requirements of the minor must be completed with a grade of C or better.
Getting the Minor Added to your Transcript:
The BCT Minor is awarded AFTER you have completed the required 5 courses. There is no need to apply in-advance for “admission” to the Minor. During the semester that you are completing the Minor, please visit a faculty of the BCT Program, or come to Holdsworth 118 and have the form “Declaration of an Academic Minor” completed and signed for submission to the Registrar. After the Registrar processes this form the Minor designation will be added to your Official Transcript.
Last updated: February 13, 2012 by Alexander Schreyer