The Design Building at UMass Amherst
Latest Site News
The wood structure is going up! (video from March 2016)
You can always follow the site progress on our Facebook page.
Latest Construction Photos and Videos
Virtual Construction Site Visit:
We have a 360-degree panorama virtual site visit tour right here.
Photos on Flickr:
Contact us if you would like to use full-resolution images.
Time Lapses on YouTube:
(newest on top)
- “‘Timber City’ to Show Mass Timber’s Potential for Construction, Job Creation” – Architect
- “UMass wood construction expertise has Canadian roots” – Daily Commercial News
- “We Can Turn Climate Change Around” – UMass Center for Agriculture, Food, and the Environment (CAFE) Newsletter
- “Leers Weinzapfel Associates designs timber architecture building for UMass Amherst” – Architects Newspaper
- “New Integrated Design Building incorporates sustainability, resilience and aesthetic” – The Daily Collegian
- “Design Building Progress” – UMass Amherst video
- “Leers Weinzapfel Associates: On Collaboration, Sustainable Buildings, and Timber Structures” – SketchUp Blog
- “Watch: High-tech timber erected at UMass” – Suffolk BuildSmart Blog (watch video on YouTube)
- “UMass Amherst’s Design Building, A Model of Sustainable Architecture” – UMass On The Move
- “Green Design: The Design Building gives sustainable research, education, and construction high visibility” – UMass ResearchNext
- “UMass celebrates groundbreaking of new $52 million Design Building” – Daily Collegian
- “Innovative UMass Design Building ‘designed by designers for designers to teach design'” – MassLive
- “UMass celebrates construction of Design Building using engineered timber instead of structural steel” – Hampshire Gazette
- “Campus Celebrates Construction of Sustainable Design Building” – UMass Media (watch video on YouTube)
- “Wood construction resurges at UMass” – Suffolk BuildSmart Blog
- “Timber’s Transformation: An Old Building Material is Reborn” – Metropolis Magazine
- “Timber Architecture Redefined at UMass” – WMAIA Newsletter
- “Design Building at UMass will revive technique of environmentally friendly timber-frame construction” – Hampshire Gazette
- “Unveiled” – Architects Newspaper
- “Construction begins on Leers Weinzapfel designed UMass Amherst Design Building” – NE Real Estate Journal
- “Building Big with Wood” – The Woodland Steward
- “Into the Wood” – NE Forestry Foundation
About the Design Building
Together with our colleagues in the departments of Architecture and Landscape Architecture and Regional Planning (LARP), BCT has been hard at work planning a new home that will co-locate all of us. As announced before, the UMass Building authority has retained renowned Boston-based Architecture firm Leers Weinzapfel Associates (LWA) as the design firm for our new building, the “(Integrated) Design Building” (I)DB at UMass Amherst.
On approximately 87,500 square feet, this building will house classrooms and studios, computer labs, lounges, meeting and teleconferencing rooms, materials-testing lab, green-building lab, wood shop, digital fabrication lab, outdoor work area, departmental admin (Architecture and LARP only), faculty and staff, graduate students, as well as a cafe, exhibit space, library, and function spaces. It will also feature a covered indoor courtyard on the first floor and an outdoor courtyard complete with green roof on the third floor. The image below illustrates the interior “feel” quite well.
BCT has been working with the various structural, sustainability and energy consultants to make this building as sustainable as we can, given the project’s budget. For example, this building will feature a glue-laminated wood, cross-laminated timber (CLT) and wood-concrete composite structure (based on BCT research) that replaces the common steel/concrete construction type that is common in the area. This structural system reduces this building’s carbon footprint and maximizes the use of renewable materials. In its landscape, the building is slated to feature rainwater-control features like a partial green roof and bioswales. At this point, the mandated rating target for this building is USGBC’s LEED Gold (v.3) with a possibility of Platinum.
We are all excited to have the opportunity in this building to bring together design and research disciplines that encompass the entire range of the built environment which in turn will enhance research, teaching and learning, and enable a collaborative approach to ideas and current issues.
Are you or your company interested in supporting BCT in our new home? Talk to us about it. This building has many naming opportunities (classrooms, shops, labs, common areas, studios,…) and is a very targeted way for you to reach future builders, project managers, architects, landscape architects and regional planners. Contact Alex Schreyer, BCT Program Director if you would like to start a conversation about this.
- The construction site is currently active and you can follow the site progress on our Facebook page. Projected opening date is January 2017.
- Total project budget: $52M. Construction only: $36M. Square footage: 87,500 GSF
- Designer of Record: Leers Weinzapfel Associates
- Owner’s Project Manager: Hill International
- Construction Manager (CMAR): Suffolk Construction
- Engineering: Equilibrium Consulting, Simpson Gumpertz & Heger (EOR)
- MEP & sustainability: BVH, Atelier Ten
- Landscape: Stimson Associates
- The building is located in the southern area of campus on Lot 62 next to the Studio Arts and Fine Arts buildings.
Last updated: August 5, 2016